Mom
Hi All,
Mom needs to get a medical for her driver’s license. This only needs to be done by her birthday; however, she mentioned it yesterday when she was over for breakfast so since I will take her to the Dr. on Friday May 16th for this pimple looking sore above her lip I will get the Dr. to do the medical as well. I am also going to see her Dr. the day before so that I can inform him of some of the changes we have noticed about her.
NOW, here is the tricky part. Mom does not drive anywhere any more except Safeway (that we know of at least) because she does not feel comfortable doing so. She even asked me to take her to the Dr. office which is not far at all from where she lives. Ken and I have talked and we would like to convince her of letting go of her driver’s licence but would appreciate the support of all of you. Ken will talk to her from an insurance point of view so that should help the cause - I hope.
Also, for Mother’s Day, I have hired a lady to do spring cleaning at Mom’s house. The woman said it would cost around $85.00 including washing walls so I’m thinking it might be more like $100 once she sees Mom’s place. Does anyone want to contribute? I’m certainly okay if you don’t but just let me know.
Sure wish y’all lived here so we could have a family meeting.
Let me know your thoughts and concerns.
Marlene

6 Comments:
I would agree with you and Ken Mar. You are with her all the time so you would be the best judge. The fact that she is not comfortable driving herself must be telling her something. Also I am glad you will be talking to Mom's doctor about her memory and thought process. I think he needs to do a whole work up I wish we were closer too, I'm sorry this always falls on you. I would like to contribute to the Spring cleaning.
I have been running this around and around my head and am thinking (ouch) that if Mom doesn't drive any farther than Safeway - which she doesn't, and if her eye sight has not decreased, maybe there would be little harm in her just driving there and home. At least she is getting out some. Will taking away her license make her even more of a hermit?? Questions, questions.
I was just talking to Linda this morning and asking her opinion and she brought up the very same point and I guess I would have to agree with that. If she can't drive to Safeway... she might not eat properly...etc. What if she would be restricted just to do that? Do you think she could drive there safely? If you asked her do you think she would be honest about it? Also Linda and I think you should ask the doctor do run a cat scan. Maybe this confusion and memory thing is more than just that. I think we should rule out something serious like a tumour. Tough decision on the D/L.
This is a real tough one and I think you could/should discuss it with her and I think she would be honest about it. But Mar you are the one around her the most and I trust your instincts.
I also would like to go in with you guys on the house cleaning if you still need more to contribute. If not, I will just send flowers. Let me know.
Me again. If all of us are willing to put in for the Spring Cleaning why don't you look into a bi-weekly or monthly cleaning. We could try it for a few months or more and it would not be costly if there were 5 or 6 of us.
Glad for your input you guys.
I'm taking Mom to get some groceries at Super Store tomorrow after work - the Lean Cuisine is much cheaper there than at Safeway and Mom really likes to eat things like that because they're easy to do. So I will ask her how she is feeling about the medical and driving. I haven't talked to Ken today to see if he talked to her yet or not.
I also found out when I was talking to her yesterday that she also has a sore on her back. I don't know how long she has had it, I didn't want to get into it while I was at work. I will have a look at it tomorrow as well.
Regarding cleaning - the woman doing the spring cleaning is Joey, Fr. Tim's cook and housekeeper. I don't think she will do cleaning on a regular basis as she is doing Mom's place on her day off. But, I'll ask the gal who gave me Joey's name and who runs her own cleaning business if she can recommend someone. She was not interested in taking Mom as a client as she already has too many houses to do.
I'm glad you guys want to contribute to this Mom's Day present, but Ag, you can still get her flowers if you want to too! Who doesn't like flowers.
Let's keep talking eh?
Love,
Mar
Post a Comment
<< Home