Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Family Pedigree


Well I thought I should start posting family history information as that is one of the main reason we have the Blog. I'm not really sure where the best place is to start, as a lot of the information I have is in hand written notes so it takes a lot of time to type it all here. However I will get the interesting stuff in here over the next few days. So the best is to display the pedigree chart first. Click on the picture of it here to see it closer. There are a few new names that were added recently. The most frustrating thing I am now running into is spelling of names and places. Census and other documents are written by people who seem to have written or typed names and places how they think they sound and how they think they should be spelt. A good example of that is Dad's mom. We have had her name as Goog for some time now, and Aunt Mary swears that it is Goog....But I have documents that show it as being Hoog. Just this week I found out that the old Russian writing has letters and sounds that often mix up the english G and H. So it is very likely that the name is Hoog but when translated sounded like Goog or Gogg. So when searching for names you have to search for all possible spellings. Stober also changed from Stoeber.
Another new point of great interest to me was/is to figure out where Dad was born. We have heard Siberia, and we heard Prussia. The passenger list from the ship that he and his family came to Canada on shows his place of birth as Sofiofka, Russia. This spelling of this place turned up a lot of blanks for me but I did after many hours find a place called Sofievka, Russia. The V would make the same sound as the 2nd F in the first spelling. I also found out that Sofievka was a site of a mass Jewish grave site where tens of thousands of Jews were killed in the 2nd world war. There is a great chance that if this was a Concentration camp in WWII that it would have been one as well in 1916. We all know that Dad had said he was born in a Concentration camp so it makes sense. This camp was not in Siberia but in an area that is now the Ukraine, and was not that far from Katharinenthal Russia which is where most of Dads Brothers and sisters were born. That place is now a city. But for now I put in the information how I have it and hope to confirm things as I move forward. There a few stories and findings like these that I have but do not want to place all the info at once and make a post too long and dominate the blog. So I will add more later with some other documents.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken, this is so interesting we can't thank you enough for doing all of this. What a neat hobbie. Will you be getting the other relatives on this Blog too like our children and how about the Holsts from Saskatchewan and the Stobers from Hays? I think that would be really great!!

Speaking of other relatives...where's Marie?

9:01 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Yes the full intention is to get our kids on for sure. I just wanted to get the bugs worked out first but than it would be great to get picture updates from everyone. As far as the rest of the crew (Saskatchewan etc)I plan to make one that will just be family history info on it to share with them, because if you get too many on a blog where we share everything it can get so much that people end up not reading it because of the volume of stuff. Great thing about blogs is when can make as many as we want and have them listed on the dashboard. But really it is what we all think and not just what I think. Marie has sent e-mails about it but is not on yet. Shelley will be joining as well to keep Linda updated.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this is great. My friend and me were just talking about family trees and I said that I didn't think we could go back too far. Kudo's for trying, it must be alot of work. I also know that one of the Holst cousins tried this a few years back, so maybe he has more info. Geez, I didn't know mom's family came from Hungry.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Ya the 1901 census that was completed showed the Stober's from Hungary. It was also Mom's dad that first dropped the e out of Stoeber. They shared their first 1/4 section of land in Canada with the Bieglers....so that is how Grandma and Grandpa hitched up

10:11 AM  
Blogger Agnes said...

Ken, do you have any information on living relatives in Germany? Lisa said she would be interested in trying to contact people while she is there.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

I dont have any names of people living there as of yet. I am close with Parish names however where weddings and such took place that will give us many more names from the past. Apparently there are places now in Germany you can go and search for this info and get it.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Agnes said...

Are the places in Germany where you can search for info in libraries or museums? or do you think it would be on german websites? Lisa is very willing to do some research but as she doesn't live in a big city I'm not sure that it would be possible for her.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home